Week 1 Progress
This was a quick week. I did a couple of initial changes required for porting. A good thing done was that I was able to fix some errors and pass the test cases that failed last year. I successfully ported gstreamer.py base dependency module and changed the Gtk2Reactor (incompatible with gi) to Gtk3Reactor.
Tests still fail as “ImportError: Introspected and static glib/gtk bindings must not be mixed; can’t import gireactor since pygtk2 module is already imported.” So, I figured out we need to port PyGTK to PyGObject (aka PyGI) as well. As an initial quick approach, I tried using PyGTK compatibility layer (PyGTKCompat). This didn’t turn out to very successful and tests gave segmentation fault.
I think converting the code manually would be a better idea since we can avoid using any layers and use the supported API directly. Still, I want to port other modules using 0.10 API first and try PyGTKCompat before going ahead and porting PyGTK to PyGI manually.
In Week 2, I will be completing the porting of other base and dependency modules.